Position Title: SSD Firmware & Test Development Engineer
Location: Orange County, CA
About the Team:
The growing Encore Semi Firmware Development / Firmware Test team collaborates with customers to develop “bare metal” and higher-level Firmware to enable the productization of SSD products and systems. The team develops Firmware for all aspects of the system from the controller to the system including code enabling Host Interface (NVMe/PCIe, SATA, etc.) features, optimizing the interface with the Storage media and the overall device integration into the storage system. The team also plans the approach for testing the drive and module level firmware, creates the tools required to implements those plans and executes the testing protocols. Come join the team to collaborate with SSD Storage developers and deliver the next generation of Storage System products
About the Project:
The Encore Semi Firmware Development team delivers the entire FW stack to enable current and next generation SSD based Enterprise Storage solutions. The team is expanding its Firmware Development and Test Development capabilities. Projects include developing/implementing new drive level firmware features, developing FW module test plans (utilizing both block box and white box approaches), increasing automation to extend and optimize existing validation environments, and working with FW developers to enable new or extended features and working with customers to reproduce failures and identify solutions or workarounds. The team works closely with the overall product development team to enable existing designs and next generation projects.
• Knowledge of mass storage systems, Flash memory (NAND /NOR), NVMe / SATA / SAS / RAID protocols
• Hands-on experience with the creation of drive level firmware, product test plans, configuring test scenarios for embedded software (firmware) development, functional and regression testing of firmware products
• Experience with tools to enable Embedded Software / Firmware testing such as Flexstart scripting or automated testing techniques
• Strong experience in debugging failures to root cause across a Storage system
• Some experience with development of FW for SSD or NVMe-based systems is desired
• 7+ years of Firmware test and / or Firmware development projects; preferably enabling multiple products into production
• Knowledge of specific SSD controller functions such as command handler, vendor commands, Flash Translation Layer, wear leveling, or garbage collection either as a FW developer or in testing such functions
• Experience testing and debugging SSD controller hardware or Storage System hardware components
• Experience with scripting including with Python or Ruby
• Required: Bachelor's, Computer Science or Electrical Engineering
• Preferred: Master's, Computer Science or Electrical Engineering
About Encore Semi
is a successful SoC Design and Software Engineering Services company headquartered in San Diego, California. We build Centers of Expertise (CoEs), engineering teams onsite, to support our many customers from the semiconductor and electronics system industry in North America (San Diego, Bay Area, Austin, Raleigh, Longmont, New York, Boston areas). Our teams of experts contribute to leading-edge projects in the areas of SoC design and embedded software. We provide high-value through acceleration, performance improvement, optimization, and risk mitigation.
Encore Semi provides its engineering team members with continuous exposure to top advanced technologies and tools, participation in challenging yet exciting projects, and direct collaboration with its industry-leading teams, customers, and long-term partners.
Encore Semi Career Path
& Encore Semi Full-time Benefits